Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Summer Fun?

There is only a few weeks of school left and I am already starting to panic. Maybe because this house just isn't big enough for 4 kids fighting all the time, or because I feel like I already spend too much time picking up after them, or maybe because last year they realized they out number me. Whatever the reason I am dreading it. I love my kids, I really do but they are pigs and know my limits. And they push them. I am trying to put together a plan for summer. My biggest problem is that I always feel like they need to start with a fresh slate so I always do it for them at first. This just makes me mad, and they end up suffering but they don't realize why. All I want is a fun relaxing summer.

2 comments:

Karrie said...

Seriously- just threaten them that I'll come over with my trash sacks and clean for them. They'll get to keep 5 undies, three bottoms, and 6 tops, one pair of pj's, and three pairs of shoes. It's not fair for you to clean up after them.

I'm going old school this summer- day trips every now and then with a picnic lunch.
Routines help, too- getting up and going to bed at the same times. Get your mean face ready- don't let them do anything until their rooms are up to your standards. Start small- then by July include the living room. They need to learn a little respect for you and your house- not like clean freak weirdness, but a little help your way might be nice. If they can't handle their stuff, get rid of it. (It seriously works- Will still needs some prodding, but he will pick up his legos. It took me one time of throwing some away while he was watching, and one time of me putting them away for a week and he knew I meant it when I said "Clean that up.")
Good luck with your summer... it's good to plan ahead!

Grammy said...

Summer will be here and gone before you know it. We are planning day trips too. Maybe we should all do some together, or not, that is alot of kids!
I'm with Karrie on the "if they don't take care of it toss it" idea. Not that I actually follow through all the time, but it only takes once or twice.