Monday, May 11, 2009

Rub some dirt on it...

I tell the kids this frequently. The girls had softball games on Saturday. The first two plays in Jimi's game made me nervous, she had two bad overthrows and runners moved. I yelled a little bit (imagine that) and she got her head in the game. She actually had one of her best games. She had a beautiful hit to a hole in the outfield that rolled to the fence so without any errors she got a home run! A REAL home run! She slid into home and scraped/cut her knee up pretty bad. Sami ran over to tell her good job, she saw Jimi's knee and Jimi said she almost passed out. She didn't say a word to Jimi just turned and ran to me and said "mom, Jimi is bleeding BAD" I asked if it was really really bad, but by the look on her face I knew it was REALLY REALLY bad to Sami. When I first got over to her I looked at it and it really wasn't bleeding bad, but was full of dirt. She was holding it, but when she saw me her face lit up and for a second forgot that her knee was cut at all. She jumped up and hugged me and said "mom did you see that, it was a home run!" I was so excited for her. I had her pour some water on her knee to clean it up and when she washed the dirt away, the blood started. Down her leg, all over her slider, batting gloves, cleat, not to mention the dugout. I told her that is why I tell her to rub some dirt on it, to stop the bleeding. She didn't think that was funny, or a good idea. I ran over and got the first aid kit. She felt special that they stopped the game for her. Little did she know that when there's blood they can't get on the field untill it's taken care of. We patched her up and sent her out. That inning she just happened to get all three outs, 2 grounders with a great throw/catch at first. And then a pop fly. That was her second pop fly caught in that game because earlier she caught one and without thinking threw it to first and made a double play. I was impressed. Next up to bad she got on base again and was waiting on second when I saw her yelling to her coach. Then her coach Kelsey looks at me and yells "she's your daughter, what are we going to do with her?" She got batted home and I went to see what was wrong. While on second she got bit 3 times by a horse fly. OUCH! Jim goes to get the sting soother and she goes out to the field where she takes two really hard grounders to the shins. We reminded her that it is much easier to catch a grounder with her glove than her shins. Hope she gets it. She got pretty beat up, but did a great job.

This is her knee a day later, she has a picture of when it first happened but I don't yet. The other is her arm with the bites a day later. You can't see them very good besides by the next day they weren't swollen too bad anymore.

Jimi I want you to know that I know you are a great athlete and I am proud of that, but I am more proud of you for your attitude on the field/track/ whatever. Your always always positive, even when your loosing you are giving others positive feedback and encouragement. When you make a mistake you quickly shake it off and bring that smile out. You don't pout on the field EVER! You loose graciously. (we are still trying to win graciously) I am proud of you NEVER giving up. You are only still with us because you refuse to give up at anything you do. Thank you for being stubborn, hanging on and giving it your all and when that doesn't seem to be enough then giving it a little more. Your amazing for that, I hope you always stay that way. I know that I push you so hard sometimes but it's only because I know that your strong and I know you can achieve so much if you constantly push yourself. Now don't let it go to your head! Keep up the good work in school, sports and making good decisions.

No comments: