Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Sure I've had my Tetanus shot

That's what Jim has said for the last 14 years. He hasn't had one since we have been married, until now. Last Tuesday evening I had gone to Sami's game while Jim and Trever stayed home to prep our horse trailer to be re-welded. They took all the thick rubber mats out, then the boards out to reveal very rusty beams underneath. Ryan B. had offered to help Jim fix the beams and then cut the sides and put up new diamond plating around the outside, just to fix it all up, stop the rust from spreading and make it look pretty. I'm not sure if they had planned all of that but in my head that's what they were doing. It was probably just a boys excuse to get together and play with their big boy toys. So this is how it went when we get home from the game.

Trever: Dad, did you not want me to tell just mom, or not tell anyone?
Jim: (from the shower) Trever hush it's not that big of a deal.

Me: Not tell me what? What did you do?
Where I walk into the bathroom and see blood still oozing from his foot. He then informs me that while Trever and him were finishing up he jumped from one beam to another and landed on a long thick rusty screw that looked like this...
This is what started out the hole in his foot, yes it's that big!
Then Jim starts telling me it wasn't that big of a deal, and he was fine. The whole time Trever is pacing and clearly having an anxiety attack. He wanted to go get Grandma or Uncle Kenny.

He had tennis shoes on and at first thought it just went through those until he tried to get his foot off. He had to reach down and with Trevers help, pull his foot off of the screw. I hadn't noticed the blood on the deck until then, it was bad. He wouldn't go to the ER, mainly because I called and they had a critical so it would have taken all night to get seen. We went to the Dr. the next morning and he got his first tetanus shot in at least 20 years and and antibiotic shot, then follow up shots every day for the next 3 days plus oral antibiotics. He has been off of work for the week but has to go back tomorrow, he's doing much better but it still looks a little gross, and has to have it followed up next Monday and if it isn't healed they have to cut it back open and clean it out, and make sure there isn't further damage to muscle or bones.
He kept telling the kids it was his left foot and it went all the way through, but it's his right foot, you know the one that is HUGE and SWOLLEN.

It swelled really bad for a few days and bruised, but looks much better now.

I was rubbing his foot because the muscle is sore and it opened up, I won't gross you out but the white thing in it was a piece of his sock, I think. I won't discuss what else came out of it. Good thing I like this sort of thing.

4 comments:

Grammy said...

Ummm, GROSS! Glad he still has his foot.

Karrie said...

So gross. Eewwww and gross. Gag.

The Hogue's said...

Yeah, it did look pretty nasty but they didn't start out as the cutest feet anyway. I'm allowed to say that because he's my brother, but I'm glad he still has two.

BushlingX7 said...

I love that sort of thing. The more puss and blood the better. Oh, and yea, glad he is better.