Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Brave, Open Minded, or just plain stupid?

First, I want EVERYONE to vote on my poll. Remember that I don't know who votes what way but I am really deciding that I just DON'T know, and wonder what all my family and friends think. This is the most recent why.


Last night Jim and I got a quick ride in, Alex went with us because like I said before his girlfriend loves to ride horses. Well, Jim was riding behind Alex and when Abbi (the white crazy horse) actually bucked! A few times! He did GREAT, he rode it out and stayed on and kept riding even though he pulled a muscle. Well it made us mad because she has always been a pretty good horse, and we have let all the kids ride her even Trever by himself. Not to mention she is the horse that we put friends that ride with us on. (Sorry Tabi, Cori and your family, Tim, and probably more) So we weren't happy with her and decided she really needs some ground work and manners. We headed home and I have been telling Jim that my horse who isn't a bucker, does this thing where she decides she wants to go one way but tries to make you think she's going the other. Then she jumps/lunges her own way. The first time she did it caught me by surprise and scared me a little but I've learned the signs and can "feel" when she is about to do it. Jim jumped on her and was so surprised how powerful it is and was amazed that I hadn't been thrown yet, so he worked her and ran her. We decided she needed some manners too, as an excuse for her... she is very green (new to the saddle and just learning, but so am I ) and she gets confused because she was a sulky racer before so it's all new to her, but I do need to work with her more. So today I worked the horses, first I started with Abbi... she is heard bound/barn sour. So when we got a little ways from home she freaked and BUCKED and REARED UP, threw her head spun and did everything she could to get me off of her. Well if you know me you know that she challenged me and the game was on and I was going to win. I don't believe in hurting and beating a horse, I can't see how it would work so I DON'T and WON'T EVER do it that way. But I have long reins and I'm not against getting their attention by swatting their neck or butt. Abbi didn't like that either and let me know the first few times, not to mention I wore persuaders, also known as spurs. She didn't really love those either, but I think after an hour or so, she got MY point. I was almost thrown MANY times, but stayed on. (Thank you God... amen) I know this isn't a one time thing and she will be great, but it was the first step. We ended on a good note and her attitude is MUCH different tonight. She didn't pin her ears at all after that ride. But this is what she looked like, all lathered and SOAKING wet. I thought she had hurt a leg and worried and watched to see which one, but after watching her I realized she was fatigued and weak. She'll sleep good tonight.

I should leave well enough alone, and I don't know why I haven't learned this lesson yet. I thought I would take out my huge horse Hazel and work on her attitude. She just made me mad. And I run her to get my point across and to be honest she is SUPER DUPER fast and I have only gotten her in a run (not even a FULL run) one time and probably will never do it again, she is FAST!!! But I didn't spend as much time with her tonight because from what I hear it is better to do frequent short sessions, and I was SPENT! I didn't get pictures (or the kids didn't) but she was actually more lathered then Abbi, and I scraped as much sweat off as I could because I am always afraid they will get cold, but she was SOAKED. We ended on a good note too, and I didn't get thrown from her yet either. I guess that constitutes a good day.
So this is where the poll comes in. I actually really enjoy doing this with the horses. I like the rodeo they provide. And although I know that I will probably get thrown one of these days, I still don't mind doing it. I will re-evaluate after I get thrown. I jump into anything without asking how dangerous it is, horses, hoof cleaning, bore herding (the ones with tusks), pig castrating, dirt bike riding on some scary rides, scary horse rides, technically the list goes on and on. So am I brave? Jim thinks I am brave. Am I open minded? I think I'm open minded and enjoy trying new things, my biggest fear is being afraid to do something so I like to face things that are out of my comfort zone. What's the worst that can happen right? Which makes me sometimes wonder, am I just plain stupid? I am a wife and a mother of 4, and they NEED me. So I wonder if I should stop taking the chances. The problem is... it's just NOT ME!

4 comments:

Karrie said...

it's just you- you are a self professed adrenaline junkie. This one is good for you AND the horses- you might get hurt, but the chances are slim. You are more likely to get hurt speeding down the highway. And if you don't get hurt doing that, this is much cheaper than getting a ticket, no?
Are you facing the play with the same attitude? I'm looking forward to your dance...

Angie Thompson said...

I'm just wondering what you exactly are doing with the riding crop and the hoof since that looks like an excellent position to get your teeth knocked in by your psycho...excuse me...friends and family horse? I think you are awesome for hanging in with them - with constant and consistant care and training both of the horses will come to know what you expect. Of course, Abby might ignore you when she is "hormonal" but that would just be her, right?

Dany said...

I always have the whip on my wrist with her, just so she knows not to be mean. And I didn't realize the picture looked like I was about to get kicked. This is what happened... She was limping so I was checking her feet, she curled that one up like a possible warning that she was going to kick me, so I grabbed it and pulled it out to the side so if she pulled it away from me she would fall over. The kids just took the picture at the right time to make it look bad.

Grammy said...

I'm going with brave, and not because of the things you do. it's the raising of children that truly makes you brave. :o)!!