Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Cheer Competition 2008

Saturday was Jimi's cheer competition in California City. We woke early, ok I woke early, threw everyone sleeping in the van and made it really quick. (who says it's 1 1/2 hours, I made it in less than half that!) I got to see the sunrise, and since everyone else was asleep I took the picture out my window as I was driving, you get the point.
We arrived by 7am for the team check in, then it began. If you have NEVER been to a cheer competition then you have NO idea what your missing. I do remember them much differently from when I was younger. Back then it was fun, and the noise really didn't bother me. This year was truly my first year as a spectator ONLY! I have been in the athlete's position and the coaching position but Saturday I was just one of the crazy cheer mom's! These things last a long time, well 5 or so hours, but it feels like a life time. The crowd is constantly yelling and the girls are trying to get the crowd going and we are yelling and stomping, my head was killing me withing 15 minutes. I was fine through all the younger girls, but when Jimi's junior division started, I instantly got sick and started shaking. (me competitive?? no...) Jimi was really worried about Rim because they had tumblers that could do a back tuck, and they only had her cousin Harleigh that could do back handsprings, and Rim had a lot more girls so that enables them to do a lot more stunts. For those who don't understand, when you have the same bases for every stunt they get tired. I will admit I was worried about our girls even placing, the coach was new and although she did ask for my help it was really really hard to help without interfering. I did make sure they were stunting safely and taught them a twist up/ twist down, but I don't think they used it. (maybe they did) Anyways... they did great! They hit EVERY stunt solid and because they were nervous they really THREW their flyer which looks great. They even pulled off a scorpion, liberty and a heal stretch all in full extensions. I was impressed! They really came together when they needed it.
Now some funny parts, I have always told Jimi and the rest of the girls not only to make sure they smile, but to tell a story with their face. Play up to the judges and really ham it up! We were sitting right on the side of where they preformed, so we could see the back better than the front. Jimi was really playing it up, she looked so cute, but when she would turn away from the judges her face would relax and she had the most nervous look on, but the second she started turning around back to the judges, that cheesy cheer face came right back. I can't wait to see the video to see how funny it looked from the front! She does a great job, she really enjoys cheering. She's been doing it for quiet a few years and has accumulated a few trophy's and medals. She has won EVERY toe touch competition she has been in. (a toe touch is a jump) I have always taught her that her jumps come from your abs, so she works on that really hard, and I have to say... (don't let her EVER hear this) I don't think my toe touch was EVER that good! Ok, so your probably wondering how they did.... they got 2nd. She was really happy but a little bummed and tried to tell me it wasn't fair, but I told her it was. Rim looked better and sharper, and not just because they had the back tuck, or more girls, they just pulled it off just a little better. I was teasing her and said, "aren't you glad I taught you so much about cheering?" and then she floored me and said "I admit it mom, you did teach me everything I know." And she was serious! I almost cried, and it did make me want to coach her next year. The truth is, she is so good that I will run out of things to teach her really fast. Good job Jimi, we are proud of you. And I'm not sure why, it could be because I heard it SO many times but I think I Love Big Bear! The crazy parents cheered so much that they actually won the coveted spirit stick. I hope they know the responsibility that comes with it. I am glad we didn't get it, because if it touches the ground then we would all be cursed! (It's true, just watch Bring it On, or ask ANY ex cheerleader)
I'm glad it's all over, we need some down time.

2 comments:

Grammy said...

Down time? What is down time? You know we are entering the Holiday season and then you have two in basketball? I admit if I had real "down time" I wouldn't know what ot do with it.

love2scrap88 said...

I can't believe how busy you and your family are!!! It's so great to keep up with all they have going on. This past Thanksgiving weekend I watched my little one play with her cousins in the "back room" at their grandma's house - dancing and just having a blast - I can't believe how much it made me think about us when we were little. Those were great times....it's funny how it takes growing up and witnessing your own child making those memories to realize just how special and precious those times really are.....love ya! ~Lisa