Tuesday, August 18, 2009

When I grow up

( Obviously that's NOT me!)

With all the car issues my family has I tried to tell Jim I needed to go to school to be a mechanic. He thinks I'm crazy. Yesterday Jim brought home a new thermostat for out Suburban, while he is closing jobs and doing some work I go outside and change it... yes all by myself. He was impressed, so was I. Until we realized that wasn't the problem... no that would be too easy and too cheap to fix. It's the water pump. So we call Alex outside with me (it will be his burb in a few years) Jim goes back to work and I tear into it! Don't panic I had a book! (Alex laughed when I said that) I tore the darn thing apart, it's not an easy fix, or easy to get to... but by 8 pm I had it ready for a new pump... I think...

this is the thermostat, don't ask me how it works, it just DOES
It goes here
This is the water pump, the thingy with the bolts sticking out... it's harder to get to than you think, refer to the pic above, all that junk had to come out first.
this is the silly water pump that is OUT! It has weep holes to let you know that it's out, all your coolant drains out the weep hole, all over the place and lets your engine overheat... good times

My house and laundry suffered, not to mention my back and poor hands, yes I broke TWO nails! But I figure I saved a lot of money, well if I didn't break the fan thingy taking it off, we have to ask cause I'm not sure.

Anyone need a good mechanic... just buy me a book and I'll be right over. I will warn you that it is defiantly rated PG-13, maybe higher. And you have to be in good physical condition so that your able to jump or duck under the tools I throw!

4 comments:

Ricecake said...

The thermostat works like this,
the spring is made so that when it gets to hot it uncoils, letting the coolant flow. Then as it cools it coils up and shuts off the coolant.

Dany said...

Zach, that's why I'm friends with you, your so smart! And even better you CARE why things work the way they do.

Ricecake said...

I learned that off of How It's Made on the Science Channel

The Youngs said...

You're nuts!! Much more brave than I am...I so would have waited for Nick to get home or called somebody else! You go girl!