Monday, May 25, 2009

Who needs electricity?

I've said before that everyone was born in the era they were supposed to be in. I KNOW this is true! Wednesday morning things were going like any normal day, when click... power went out! Usually it only goes out for a few minutes and it comes back up. It didn't. They let school out early because it was really hot, and... ok really I don't know why. I do know they didn't call and let me know, I heard through my mother in law. How were we supposed to know, TV, the radio? Duh the power was out! Living next door to the Edison power man we are usually in the loop so we found out there was a fire that burned the cross arm of a pole and blah blah blah... power would be out until sometime late Friday. That is a LONG time with NO power. I have to say we did cheat it a bit. Jim's work truck has an enclosed generator that is almost silent. His boss let him bring it home and we hooked up the freezer, fridge, and sat back and watched a movie while the neighbors sat in the dark. That is until someone showed up to take Jim's truck to get serviced. Great timing. The really funny thing was watching the kids realize all the things than needed electricity. Every time they walked into a room they would flip on the switch. (ok I did it a few times too) The fridge works on power? The hot water heater? The microwave? I must have said over a thousand times "duh you need electricity for that". I will say it was a great reminder of why we need a 72 hour kit. (luckily I made one about 2 years ago) it needed rotated anyways. It shows that we just need to be prepared, we need to have a call list to check on everyone. Two of the High Priests of the church came door to door checking on people. They opened up the church, which had power and water and air conditioning, for who ever wanted or needed a place to go. I thought that was nice. It made me realize that my debit card does NO good when the power is out! I need to keep my gas tank at least half full, and have some cash set back, just in case. Really it wasn't too bad, we made it. Even if I did go through blogger with drawl. Oh well I kept busy getting ready for our BIG yard sale! (I'll post that later) I'm glad we have electricity again!

5 comments:

rhino rific said...

Now you know, you COULD have been a pioneer!

Grammy said...

Oops, that was me, I guess Ryan was still signed in (obviously).

Dany said...

I could have NEVER been a pioneer, remember I had a generator!!!

Ricecake said...

If you were a pioneer you would not even know what power is

Dany said...

Yeah, but I would know SOMETHING was missing!