Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I'm in modern electronic detox

So last night Jim asks me about the power cord for my computer and I told him I hadn't done anything with it yet. He couldn't believe it wasn't driving me nuts. The truth is that it was I had just been too busy to do anything about it. He suspected a different problem other than the cord itself (like my computer). So I trot to Tabi's house (she has the exact laptop as me, and technically since she wasn't home Tim helped me) and I try out her charger, no luck. I try my new "broken" charger on hers and it worked. We switched batteries and my computer worked so Jim was right and we figured out the problem is the part that you put the charger INTO! Jim is a PHONE GUY! Not a computer guy! He had a laptop for work, and it stopped working. He stayed up all night one night to "fix" it. The next day he took his laptop and about 7 additional parts to his boss and told him his laptop was "broken". You can imagine my fear when Jim decided to open up my computer. I was in horror! We didn't actually fix it because I almost cried multiple times and decided to put it back together and take it to a professional COMPUTER GUY, not a PHONE GUY! (they are NOT the same) We didn't have any extra parts, mostly because I drew a nifty picture of where every screw came out and what went where. So I will be using this laptop for awhile, which is OK but it doesn't have wireless Internet, and it doesn't have bluetooth or even the cool port on the side to put my memory card in. I guess that means I have to do it the old fashioned way and find the cord that goes from the camera to the computer. YUCK! (ok, after writing that I feel a little spoiled, remember when people actually wrote on paper, I know WEIRD!) To top it off I have NO cell phone, here's that story...

One beautiful day I went to pick up a friends son from school. I gently placed my life, oh I mean phone, in the middle console of my van while I diligently took him from the care of his teacher into my care. Little did I know that a demon (Sami) had left a paper McDonald's cup of Sprite in the cup holder and of course the bottom had came out BEFORE I threw the cup in the trash, leaving the cup holder full of, yep you guessed it SPRITE!!! Everything was going magically as I pulled out of the parking lot. As I turned the corner my phone slid right into the Sprite filled cup holder while singing a tune of "you gotta friend, somebody likes me, hahaha, you don't got glub glub glub..." that's when I grabbed the phone, shook it a few times as Sprite spattered the front seat of the van. This boys mom was calling to check on him (ok, to make sure I didn't forget him) and my phone worked... for about 3 seconds. I got it home and put it in a bag of rice to expel all moisture from the phone/PDA/camera/LIFE! Voila, it worked. All except the end button, but I even found a way around that and Jim was just glad that I could no longer hang up on him when I was mad. The joy only lasted about a week before tragedy happened. First it was just the sound during a call, then all sound, rings beeps everything, then it hit rock bottom... it won't even charge, or hold a charge or anything. So for the last month, or two, or... well I really don't even know because I don't have my PDA/phone to look at to tell me, I've been out of reality. Really! I feel so blond all the time (no offense of course) and I'm taking full advantage now. I never know where I'm supposed to be, or what time to be there. I forget everything and I blame it on not having my life planned out. I sometimes even forget how many kids I have, mainly because they can't call me a million times when I run to the store. I'm hoping to get a new one this weekend. So if we have plans you should probably call me to remind me, but not on my cell! I am scared to use the microwave, and it is risky each time I turn on the T.V. and I walk around in the dark most of the time because I don't know what will happen if I touch the lights. For some reason though, the stupid washer and dryer and stove work! Typical!!!

3 comments:

Grammy said...

Okay, your pathetic story almost makes me feel like I owe you a phone...after all if you hadn't been picking up my child... maybe you can have mine when I get a (better)new one, that might rid me of my guilt. Oh and an old fashioned calendar helps keep track off stuff, not that I ever look at mine. Good luck with the computer.

Karrie said...

Is that why you weren't at book club? Because I called you to remind you. On your home phone. But you were probably out with your horsies. And I couldn't call your cell. Not that I have that number memorized, so it would have done no good. Because I'm lazy. Come to bookclub. It was interesting tonight, and a smaller group- nice! You and Cori.

Dany said...

No Cori you don't owe me a phone, the demon Sami does! Cause it wouldn't have mattered where I was, it was just a matter of time before SOMETHING fell in her SPRITE!!!

Karrie, I was really going to book club but my family just wasn't going to let that happen. And I think Jim wouldn't have believed that the washer, dryer and stove WERE broken, so my house had NO excuse.