Thursday, October 16, 2008

He's showed up!

A short background first... Alex started the season off doing really amazing, making great hits, sacs and just putting forth effort. Then it gradually went down hill. So, last week after practice Jim and I were NOT happy so the car ride home went something like this... "Do you think we spend 12 hours of our Saturdays watching your games for our health? Well we don't, so this is your very last chance, you can either go chase skirt, or show up to the game!" He showed up!
Kern Valley Sun Article
Kern Valley Seniors 48 Boron Bobcats 25
The Senior Youth Football team improved to 4-2 on the season with their best offensive showing of the year in a 48-25 rout over Boron.The Broncos tallied a gaudy 547 yds rushing on 28 carries for seven TDs. I am pleased with our progress.”Paving the way both inside and out with freeway-sized holes were linemen Logan Kraus-Smith, Johnny Chase, Peyton Wyly, Stephen Whisler, Zach Reiswig, Alex Hurley, Christian Mejia, Jordan Lacher and Cody Little.Lacher scored on a 25 yard reverse in the fourth quarter to put the Broncos up 48-18 before a meaningless last TD by Boron.Defensively, Hurley led with 12 tackles.Lacher and Whisler finished with eight. Mixon and Mejia both had seven with a fumble recovery each.Kraus-Smith had six, Chase had four and a fumble, Reilly recorded four, Little three, Bryce Riley two and a fumble, Moore two, and Jeremy Lawson two.Aaron Wright had one tackle. Also contributing were Tyler Mullens and Jonathan Harbaugh.
I shortened the article but I like the part where Hurley led the team with 12 tackles. Those were only HIS unassisted ones, it doesn't count the numerous he was in on or finished off. He also jumped on a fumbled ball but got bounced on and the ball popped out, maybe next time. He also got a 15 yard personal foul, but the refs are stupid. It was for roughing the passer. Alex is flying back to make a sac and he takes flight, he was in mid air when the QB threw the ball. It was a great hit but again, the refs aren't very bright (don't worry I let them know).
So this is what makes me crazy. (Ok, ONE of the things) Alex is very happy just being average. He doesn't like to put forth effort, try, or give 100%. He just wants to "get by", but when he is TOLD to step it up (i.e. show up to the game) HE DOES WITH NO PROBLEM! He is VERY smart but doesn't want to put in the work at school, so he waits until his grades aren't OK and then brings them up. He will be doing 15 things, literally, and I will try to talk to him, I will tell him exactly what I would like him to do and instruct him on chores, homework, life... I sometimes even go on for a long time because I just KNOW he's not listening. Then, like every mom, I say "Alex you are not listening to me, repeat to me what I just said" and without missing a beat or looking up from the 15 things he's doing, he rambles off word for word, of everything I said. Sometimes to add drama, he does the actions I made, the eye rolls all in the right spots, and to really make me mad he sometimes repeats every word of what I told to the kid before him too. Then he just looks at me and smiles. I quit asking!

2 comments:

Grammy said...

I'm glad someone's parents left the field happy on Saturday! Alex did have great game, you should be proud!

Some kids just don't feel the need to show the world how great they are,Zachary is like that too. They know how smart they are so who cares if anyone else knows it. I'm just thankful if the great wisdom I impart floats around in their heads for more than five minutes.

PawPaw said...

WOW, just WOW!!