Wednesday, May 26, 2010

My 2010 Junior Wolverine softball team

I ended up coaching the junior level softball league this year. I won't lie, I was intimidated at first and very nervous. It had been 16 years since I had actually played ball myself and I was sure I could bluff my way through the younger girls but these girls were 13-15 year olds. Jimi was technically too young to move up but since I was coaching, and she has the talent, they moved her up. Her best friend Destiny who is just a little older than her couldn't play because her aunt (WONDERFUL woman who raises her) was just too busy to get her to all the practices and games so I volunteered to take her to everything, so I had her on my team too.

They took the pictures in Kernville down by the river. They all turned out really good. This is Destiny and Jimi. We treat Destiny like one of our own kids. Her and Jimi have been great friends for a really long time. I'm hoping they keep each other holding tight to that iron rod and stay out of trouble.

I didn't know at try-out times that I was coaching that level so I didn't get to see all the girls try-out. Draft time I blindly choose. I did know who I wanted to pitch but that was about all. I ended up with 4 girls who had never played a day of ball in their life, and another few that was there only for the social aspect. I was worried at first and we started off a little rough but when we got rolling we took off. We have one more regular season game this Thursday in Kernville at 5:15 (if anyone wanted to go) then a playoff game, then our regular season is over. But... I am coaching the all star team. Normally by this time of year I am ready for this all to be over. This year I'm just not. I'm loving it! I can't wait to do it all again next year.

This is my team this year. We are the Michigan Wolverines. (did you know wolverines are super ugly?)So this is who we have. From left to right:
Top row: Assistant coach Scott Tedrow, he has coached a few of these girls before. He was a good asset because he knew most of them better than I did and knew the rules better, besides the fact he umpired for me so I didn't have to. Then, Adriaunna, she had a great attitude. She got nervous in serious situations but never ever had an attitude with me. Then Skylr, she loved to be out there playing she wanted to play all the time. Then Brandi. She is Scott's stepdaughter, an AMAZING catcher, she's in high school. The first practice I thought oh boy she is going to have the worst attitude in the world. I was wrong. She was so respectful, friends with everyone and just a great girl. Next to Brandi is Bobbi. I have so much to say about this girl. She is an athlete! She is an amazing pitcher but I knew I could put her anywhere and she would be great. She always called if she was going to be even 2 minutes late to a game or practice. Her mom had a stroke during the season and almost died. She spent most of the rest of the season in rehabilitation home trying to learn to talk and walk again but Bobbi always came to play with her game face on. NEVER an attitude and nice to everyone! Her mom will be at our last game, we are so excited to see her. The Shy, she had never played but came from a family who did. She showed so much improvement! Her biggest setback was that she wasn't aggressive enough, and she got nervous when she was up to bat. Very sweet girl. Then my sexy assistant coach Jim, and me!
Middle row: Erica, Alex liked her. They went out twice but it's over again. She was a nice girl with very little attitude. She was a good hitter. Next is Cassi, she was friends with everyone, her biggest problem was her own confidence in herself. Then it's Karli, she's Erica's twin sister. She played third on and off. She definitely wanted to play sometimes too much. She was a hitter too and really showed a lot of improvement through the season.
Bottom row: Destiny, played second, and center field for awhile which was great because that's where we were getting killed at first. It showed the other girls that we weren't putting them in the outfield because we thought they were no good. We could always count on Des to hit the ball, even if it wasn't to the outfield she ALWAYS hit the ball. She gave me a little attitude but that's because she's just like one of my own kids. Then there's Marissa. Great fast pitcher. Another athlete I could probably put anywhere. Great girl most of the time, but sometimes her head gets way too big. She is a good hitter and an aggressive runner. Jimi, she is a great athlete too. She was a great shortstop and depending on who was pitching she either played shortstop or first base. This was her first year playing first and I was impressed. She's really aggressive and she's a great hitter. Scott worked with her just a few minutes on her batting and after that she was hitting them to the fence. But of course she gave me TONS of attitude. She listened a little better to Jim but when we were really having issues with her we would have Scott talk to her, she listened to him. Then there was Brook. Another one I was worried I would get lots of attitude from. NO WAY! This girl is so sweet. She had never played a day in her life and at first it showed. She struggled first with sliding but improved on that. Heck she improved on everything. She can hit the ball like crazy. She is an aggressive third baseman but we also loved her in center field because she can catch anything! All she needs is a little aggression on base running and a little more experience and she will be amazing. She may even make our all star team.
Our record ended up being 8-6. (we won 8) we actually had a harder first half but started catching up towards the end of the first half and only lost one game the whole second half and that was only by 1 and it was called because of lightning, so we could have won.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a bunch of fun,...and how fun to get to know each and everyone of those beautiful girls! each with their own personality...you have ALWAYS been good with teenage girls..bet they loved you!

Mom