Thursday, June 5, 2008

We currently have NO kids in the shop!



Jim and I decided a long time ago that we would NEVER say "things couldn't get worse than this..." because they always do. So, in a nutshell here is my past week. I finally got my van back, did I mention I LOVE MY VAN! I know I shouldn't love a worldly possession that much, but I do (well, did). So I was driving home from work last Friday when all the sudden my van just overheats, quick! So I pull over and wait a few minutes for it to cool off, with the engine off. I start it back up and it is running rough, and blowing white smoke like CRAZY out of the exhaust. I get it the rest of the whole 3 miles home and let it cool back off and Jim and I go check the coo lent level, hmm... we add over a gallon and a half. We start it back up and the same thing, Jim smells the exhaust and sure enough, that's where our coolant is going. Now, I'm no mechanic, but I KNOW that's NOT good. So Monday morning we have it towed into the radiator shop who fixed it the first time. Where they say... " the engine's blown, it's not our problem" So, we get it towed over to another shop who says, "YUP, the engine's blown, it'll only cost you about $4000.00. (ONLY my BUTT!) Ok, so I take our good old reliable second gas guzzling vehicle, a good ole '99 Chevy Suburban into the shop to fix the back drum brakes, because we knew it needed it. Only $215.00, and I also needed at least 2 new tires so I go ahead and put on 2 good USED tires, so another $100.00. Not bad, so I am scooting home when.... chug... chug... chug... clunk!! I steer off the side of the road, not in a good place, where I am BARELY off the road. Now, pride aside, I sat and cried, yep I cried. I call Jim and try to get the number of the tow truck guy and while he is trying to set that up a CHP pulls up behind me. He says "are you taking pictures or are you having troubles?" I immediately start to sob, trying to hold back and tell him, I was broken down. He informs me that it's not a safe place and he needed to move me to a safer place. So I leave the keys in the Burb, like the CHP said, who's gonna steal it, it won't run. And get a ride into Mt. Mesa, since I had to be to work in a half hour anyways. Now, I know this poor CHP guy was a little scared, I tried through choked down tears to tell him that this was our second car broken down, and he did laugh when I asked if I was allowed to sit in the FRONT of the police car! (don't laugh, I had NEVER been in one before, I didn't know if there were rules or not) and he was very polite to point out that my tags were expired. Although, I did have the current tags (at home). I think he just wanted this crying girl out of his car. When he finds out I work at El Portal he realized who I am and I do the same. He and his wife and a group of 4 others come in regularly every Thursday night before Survivor. I didn't know he was a CHP, I thought he was a Sheriff, but I think he is the Sargent or something. Anyways, nice guy and I'm sure he will be in tonight, and this time I won't cry at him.


Now, on to the hopefully better news. I got the van towed, thanks to grandpa Dodge's AAA, to Lancaster Honda where they will try to get it fixed under warranty. I'm not holding my breath but I am praying for that. And, the Suburban will be fixed today, a fuel pump, which Jim just replaced in it last year, and in his mom's right before that. Only about $500.00 later! (ONLY MY BUTT!)


THE GOOD NEWS.... WE CURRENTLY HAVE NO KIDS IN THE SHOP!! We are thankful for that every day! Always remember what's important!


2006 Honda Odyssey bill from last month: $500.00

Towing combined for the week, out of our pocket: $200.00

Brakes for Burb: $215.00

Tires for Burb: $100.00

Fuel pump for Burb: $500.00

New engine for 2006 Honda Odyssey: $4000.00

Not living at UCLA for the month: PRICELESS

1 comment:

Angie Thompson said...

Way to keep it in perspective Dany!